Storm Recap


The exciting news of the week was definitely the storm we had this past Tuesday, so here’s what happened.

The Storm

We had a huge wind storm this week that ripped down power lines, toppled trees, and caused huge amounts of damage.  You can view a few photos of the aftermath here.

The Drive Home

My typical 25-30 minute drive home took me a little over an hour, and that’s after leaving work 2 hours early.  I decided to avoid the freeway since my car has a hard enough time with 35 mph wind gusts, let alone 35 mph sustained winds with 60-70 mph wind gusts.  Power was out at half the stoplights I came to, which meant it was now a 4 way stop at major intersections with multiple lanes.

After about 40 minutes I came to another major intersection, also without power, and decided to take a detour.  I was going to jump on the freeway, but when a huge gust of wind started shaking my car, I changed my mind.  Thankfully, I knew another way home, and the way I was going was taking me to an area that still had power.

As I continued on my way the wind was picking up even more and trees were bending over, practically in half.  I made it allll the way down to the road when I notice the truck in front me suddenly swerved into the other lane. Directly in front of me was a tree laying across the road.  I followed the truck in front of me (glad I was following at a safe distance) and drove over the top of tree.  For about 5 blissful minutes my car filled with the scent of pine.  As I was thoroughly enjoying the scent of Christmas, reality soon kicked in and suddenly all the lights along street went out.  Thankfully the stoplights flickered but decided to stay on for the remaining 5 minutes of my commute.


Our apartment was dark and cold, but I was so thankful to be home and safe as the storm grew even more strong.  I called my mom to let her know I made it home ok and then waited for my husband to get up (he works graveyard, so he sleeps during the day).  It just completely amazes me that he can seriously sleep through anything, even a hurricane, apparently, haha.

Once he was up I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and pulled out our board games.  It was fun but we were definitely getting cold and couldn’t concentrate after a while.  Since Mikey still had to go to work later that night we decided to find somewhere we could get something hot to eat and went to my brother’s house, which amazingly enough, only lost power for 2 hours.

After 24 hours our power finally came back on (24 hours in the middle on November is miserable – but that’s nothing compared to the people who are still without power 5 days later and counting).  I’m thankful to be safe and have a home that was unharmed.  Unfortunately there were many who were not so lucky.

As for my pets?  the storm didn’t even phase them.  I think living on the Oregon coast for so long had them pretty well prepared.  While my dog Kahlua lounged on the couch staring out the window, my cat was on the floor in front of the window trying to chase the leaves that were blowing on and off our balcony.

The End

So that was the excitement for the week.  This weekend has been busy with packing, packing, and more packing.  Today is our last and final day for packing and tomorrow we move into our little house!

Hope you all are having a wonderful weekend.  Happy Sunday!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s